ACE Technical Charter High School (ACE Tech) was founded in 2004 to increase the number of urban, low-income, minority and female youth who enter the architecture, construction, and engineering professions. ACE Tech’s mission is to provide our students with the rigorous academic instruction combined with exemplary character development and career exposure, preparing them for postsecondary and apprenticeship education and sustained lifelong success. While many of ACE Tech’s students are interested in architecture, construction, and engineering professions, the school serves students with a wide variety of interests and career aspirations. The school seeks to broaden students’ perspectives on future career opportunities while providing them with a strong academic foundation. ACE Tech serves approximately 400 students from Chicago’s Washington Park, Back of the Yards, Englewood and surrounding south side neighborhoods.
Description of Position
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) position is a new leadership role at ACE Tech, and will oversee administrative and fiscal operations for this single site charter school. The COO position reports to the Board of Directors and works alongside the Principal, who manages the instructional program. The COO is responsible for all leadership and management issues related to the business side of the school, including but not limited to finance, human resources, facilities, technology, advocacy, board governance, compliance, and external relations. The COO will help develop and lead an efficient and productive administrative structure at ACE Tech, ensuing a high quality educational environment for our students, and a professional workplace for our teachers and staff.
Duties & Responsibilities:
● Manages, reviews, and oversees organizational budgets, and prepared and reviews quarterly and annual financial statements
● Leads and reviews Chicago Public School compliance and public funding reporting
● Manages annual financial audit
● Supervises maintenance, food service, security and information technology staff or contractors
● Manages maintenance systems and procedures to ensure efficiency and cost-effectiveness
● Identifies, analyzes and coordinates all capital projects
● Oversees annual maintenance projects with both internal staff and outside vendors
● Supervises Business Office Assistant, athletic department coaches, and all other organizational
employees not assigned to instructional program positions. Instructional program positions are
managed by the Principal.
● Develops, monitors, effectively implements all policies and procedures related to hiring and
terminations, in collaboration with the Principal
● Manages relationships with payroll business partner
● Coordinates benefit plans and manages relationship with legal advisors for general HR issues
● Oversees all policies and procedures related to payroll
● Manages relationships with the Chicago Teacher Pension Fund and retirement savings representatives
● Serves on the Finance Committee of the Board, and attends all board meetings
● Leads monthly Finance committee meetings
● Prepares and delivers reports to the board on school operations including, but not limited to, Finance, Facility, Advocacy and Human Resources
● Ensures adherence to by-laws and legal compliance requirements
● Acts as FOIA Officer (responds to all FOIA requests)
● Ensures updated board roster, contact information and other board records
● Participates in CPS, Charter and neighborhood advocacy groups as assembled
● Represents ACE Tech in INCS meetings and legislative advocacy, in collaboration with the Principal
● Keeps board informed on advocacy issues
● Manages relationship with any third-party contractors (e.g. event planners) for development initiatives
● Contributes to and coordinates school publications, and website updates
● Collaborates with board members to engage industry representatives for fundraising purposes (e.g. architecture, construction and engineering firms)
● Develops and maintains relationships with other single site charter schools and external partners
● With Principal, develops and leads student recruitment strategy
Requirements and Qualifications:
● Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or related field strongly preferred
● CSBO endorsement, school business management, or human resource credentials preferred
● Minimum of 8 years of experience managing financial reporting and budgets for non-profit or
● Familiarity with Chicago Public Schools compliance reporting, as well as state and federal
program reporting, preferred
● Fully versed in accounting principles, balance sheets, and financial statements
● Experience managing the audit process for non-profit
● Demonstrated experience developing and managing operational policies, including:
● Operations and facility management
● Talent management and human resources
● Experience with a charter school or a charter network preferred
● Excellent oral and written communication skills
Although our new COO is likely to see him/herself in the following examples, these are not
requirements. Instead, they are examples designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion and purpose.
● You believe ACE Tech plays an integral role in preparing young people in Chicago for careers in architecture, construction and engineering. You have a personal connection to our mission and feel committed to helping ACE Tech achieve its goals. You value the unique role that schools like ours can play in opening the world to students, and allowing them to explore careers and engage with industry professionals as they build their academic skills.
● You are a listener and a learner, and model it for others. You have a positive attitude, pleasant
demeanor, and customer-service-orientation – you see yourself as part of a team, and you seek to lift
● You are a systems thinker and a problem solver. You understand how schools run and find personal and professional satisfaction building and running seamless systems and improving functionality. You consistently apply solutions-based judgment and you are a self-starter.
● You have a growth mindset for yourself and others. You are driven by a constructive impatience and feel compelled to create, build, and improve. You can see what is possible, and effectively inspire others to join you in making the world a better place.
● Your track record and reputation matter to you. You’ve made big things happen, and have inspired and led teams to achieve results. You are humble yet confident, and you exude professionalism.
Competitive salary based on qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits package.
Please review our website for additional background and then e-mail a job-specific cover letter that details your interest in the position and an updated resume. ACE Tech Board members and select staff will engage with candidates in a robust interview process as we identify ACE Tech’s new Chief Operating Officer. References will be required prior to offer, and a background check will be conducted once contingent offer is made.