- Strong, persuasive writer and editor, who understands the power of language to persuade and inspire audiences as small as 25 people and as large as 25,000 people.
- Demonstrated track record of placing editorial content (Op-ed, Letter to the Editor) in major media outlets.
- Thrive on deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to focus broadly on multiple projects at the same time, and ability to focus intently on time-sensitive projects at any given time
- Demonstrated knowledge on how to create and execute a multi-part plan, and successfully managing both known and unknown variables;
- Ability to simplify complex issues, as well as explain how simple concepts have a complex set of considerations and outcomes.
- Ability to incorporate strategic thinking with political acumen to create communication pieces that advance the policy and legislative objectives of AIA.
- Excellent editorial judgment when dealing with sensitive and confidential information.
Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, English, or related field, master’s degree preferred. A minimum of 7+ years of experience in journalism, congressional, executive branch, corporate communications, member organization or trade association required. Familiarity with the architecture, design, and construction industries is strongly preferred.
This is a professional position in the Strategic Communications and Content department responsible for creating an effective and adaptable communications strategy to continue to make AIA a consistent, effective, and influential voice of leadership within architecture. The director will produce several vitally important pieces of strategic messaging, including superior speeches, presentations, articles, and reports that will inspire and motivate AIA’s 94,000 members. The director will also vet and secure pivotal speaking opportunities for AIA leadership for various audiences in service of advancing the interests of a dynamic membership and lead efforts to expand allies and champions among the public and policy makers and has experience in crisis communications. The director reports to the Sr. Director, External Affairs.
- Create an annual executive communications strategy for AIA’s elected president, president-elect, and CEO.
- Write, revise, and finalize speeches, articles, presentations, and op-eds for various audiences that tie together AIA’s strategic communications goals and AIA’s outreach priorities
- Working with the senior director, write and edit AIA’s annual report, annual operating plan, and CEO monthly management reports by drawing on input from AIA’s Strategic Leadership Team.
- Create a plan to expand outside allies and champions for the profession.
- Coordinate with divisions and cross-functional teams to adapt topical messages with key Institute initiatives.
- Collaborate with Public and Media Affairs, Brand & Creative, and other divisions outside of Brand & Engagement as necessary, to craft language and presentations in a timely and sensitive way that respond to current events or take advantage of fast-developing opportunities.