This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of CAF's opening of a new architecture center in the coming months. This position reports to the Vice President of Operations and will focus on two separate but related areas:
1. Facility (50% of time): Overseeing the building maintenance, repair, alterations, custodial operations, and building services including complex and state-of-the-art audio/visual, communications, elevator, HVAC, fire protection/detection and security systems.
2. Operations (50% of time): Coordinating and supporting a variety of center operating activities including set up and alteration of spaces for events and exhibits, special events and fundraisers, and venue rentals.
Core Facility Responsibilities –
- Establish high standards of building maintenance and operations and safety commensurate with a high-visibility, intensely used, and architecturally unique structure encompassing exhibits, tour activities and retail functions.
- Participate in all activities associated with planning and decision-making required to maintain the safety, appearance, and effective/efficient use of the facility and conduct of daily activities.
- Conduct daily inspections of facility spaces to ensure high standards of appearance and readiness are maintained.
- Supervise all vendor contracts associated with structure maintenance and operations including janitorial, fire detection, fire protection, elevators, HVAC, security, audio/visual, electrical and mechanical.
- Respond to all building system failures. Diagnose their cause and supervise all activities required to restore proper operation.
- Plan for and supervise building structure and service systems repair, alteration, and upgrade projects.
- Respond to building security alerts, ensuring proper response is undertaken.
- Create and document the best practices of building maintenance and operations manuals, and reference documents
- Manage the inventory of supplies and spares required for building maintenance and operating activities.
- Manage the building key system for access control.
- Coordinate with other center staff to minimize the impact of building maintenance and operations activities upon center functions.
- Work with the VP of Operations and the Finance team to create budgets and document expenses incurred for activities associated with building operation and maintenance.
- Other duties as assigned
Center Operations Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as primary contact and liaison for day of venue rentals and special events in the center spaces.
- Manage the operation of all center audio/visual systems including system setup and operation for special events.
- Assist with the shipping and receiving function associated with exhibitions and supplies for the center.
- Assist in exhibition installation, painting of walls, assembly and movement of display racks, pedestals and supports, and lighting installation.
- Assist with the planning, set up and conduct of special events including furniture assembly and movement; planning and installation of special lighting and audio/visual items; tear-down and cleanup.
- Oversee all supplies ordered for the organization.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Degree in related field (engineering, construction management, facilities management, etc.) and 5 years of relevant experience involving operation and maintenance of industrial and/or commercial facilities, or 10 years of progressively responsible experience in supervision of facility maintenance and building operations, or equivalent.
- Familiarity with building systems and construction trades.
- Experience supervising direct reports and contracted support vendors.
Skills and Attributes
- Ability to work flexible and variable hours including some weekends and evening.
- Ability to respond quickly to urgent security, building service and utility failures.
- Physical dexterity required to access remote spaces (roof, ceiling crawl spaces, etc.) as well as ability to lift and move items of various weights and sizes.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and computer-based project management systems.
- Interest in cultural institutions and museum environments.
- Experience working in an environment serving the public.
- Strong team player.
- Excellent listening skills and ability to consider ideas of others.
- Can work in a fast-paced and complicated environment.
- Ability to work independently and organize effectively.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.