Cooper Hewitt welcomes 350,000 visitors annually to view its wide range of exhibitions, educational programs and special events. The Head of Operations will be responsible for overseeing the campus (historic and land marked buildings and garden) and being responsible for the overall smooth operations of the museum’s facilities, security, maintenance, and safety. Plus other assignments and projects relating to museum operations.
• Facilities: Maintenance and Safety of the campus are the responsibility of the Head of Operations. The Museum is located in a historic building that is land marked on the National Historic Register and is subject to Federal Regulations. Ensures the highest levels of cleanliness, visitor safety and that care and attention are bestowed on this much-loved national treasure, its garden and adjoining townhouses. As the Smithsonian Design Museum, visual and aesthetic standards are high. Operates using sustainable practices.
• Operations: Responsible for overseeing and resolving any problems relating to essential management service functions including travel, time and attendance, mail and office supplies.
• Museum Safety And Liaison Role With Centrally Administered Functions: Oversees the day-to-day administration of the museum’s safety program. Makes sure that supervisors are accountable for incident reporting and investigation. Maintains awareness of both weather related and current events that may affect the New York area.
The following must be addressed within your resume (not cover letter) in detail:
• Selective Factor (screen out): Leadership experience overseeing operations of a museum (or equivalent) located in a historic/land marked building.
• Describe your experience providing a full range of museum operations including but not limited to building management, museum safety, and facilities
• Describe your experience developing and implementing sustainable practices and sustainable building processes.
• Describe experience overseeing safety and health programs for a museum (or equivalent organization).
HIGHLY COMPETITIVE SALARY: $84,035 to $103,643 per year (based on experience)
EXCEPTIONAL SMITHSONIAN BENEFITS:
• 401k with matching funds + federal pension plan
• Group Life Insurance
• Voluntary Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
• Long Term Disability
• Health Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts
• Free Transit/Commuter Benefits (up to $3,180 commuter costs paid per year)
• Annual Leave (13 days) increasing after 3 years (20 days)
• Sick Leave (13 days)
• Federal Holidays (10 days)
• Family Friendly Leave Family Friendly Workplace
• Telework Policy
• Historic and landmark offices and garden
• 92Y Fitness Center
• Free Entrance to Museums and Galleries
• Design Library
• Curatorial Talks and Tours (Cooper Hewitt)
• Employee Assistance Program
• Smithsonian Network
• Tarallucci e Vino Museum Café (employee discount)
• Cooper Hewitt Museum Shop (employee discount)
• Admission to NYC museums and galleries (free)
• General Employee Discounts
HOW TO APPLY (THIS IS A FEDERALLY FUNDED POSITION):
Applicants must apply online at USAJOBS in order to be considered for the position:
Application Deadline: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 (no extensions)
• Detailed resume created and built in the USAJOBS Resume Builder (as mentioned above). You can not attached. A new resume application must be created.
• Unofficial college transcript (of highest level of education received). Official required if hired for the position.
• Proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study, if applicable