American Society of Landscape Architects
Nature of the Position: Position involves aiding the art director in page design and giving the final polish on layouts and graphics for Landscape Architecture Magazine.
- Managing the magazine’s website, including the posting of articles and artwork in collaboration with a contract web editor
- Assembly of The Landscape Report, a twice-weekly e-newsletter; tracking product releases to create the magazine’s monthly “Goods” section
- Managing the business of the magazine’s editorial advisory committee, including a monthly conference call.
- This job also includes opportunities to report and write news articles and department pieces.
- Works in partnership with department supervisor and other ASLA staff and volunteers to advance the Society’s mission, strategic objectives, and priority issues.
- Upholds the ASLA values and culture.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- The ideal candidate will have a passion for design and environmental issues, particularly related to land use, urban design, water conservation, and climate change. The candidate should also have the ability to produce high-quality results under tight deadline pressures as part of a six-person staff.
Education: BFA or BA in English, journalism, communication, design, or related field. Degree, coursework, or experience in landscape architecture, horticulture, or environmental design is a plus.
Skills: Knowledge of InDesign and Adobe Creative Suite; experience with basic page layout required. Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to balance heavy workload with short- and long-term project deadlines, address changing priorities, and work well under pressure; willingness to take direction and receive feedback. Ability to write quickly and clearly is preferred.
Experience: Minimum two years of professional experience in design for publication.
Friday, September 28, 2018