The Manager of Exhibitions will provide organization and oversight to the development of new exhibits and refurbishment of permanent exhibitions, from initial concept design through project completion. They will coordinate and manage technical design, AV integration, graphic production, fabrication, and installation. This manager will be part of a cross-departmental team that will refresh and rebuild CAC’s current exhibitions and develop new exhibitions over the next several years.
- Plan and project manage CAC’s exhibitions, working closely with a cross-departmental exhibitions teams and outside stakeholders.
- Coordinate the design and installation plans for new temporary exhibitions.
- Lead the execution of timely updates to permanent exhibitions.
- Facilitate communication among all parties involved in projects, including external consultants, CAC leadership and stakeholders, internal team members, fabricators and vendors; lead regular meetings and provide updates.
- Oversee physical aspects of the exhibition making process, including design, fabrication, installation, maintenance, de-installation, shipping, and storage.
- Maintain gallery digital interactives.
- Assist with planning and development of online content to support CAC’s exhibitions.
- Research content and potential strategies for exhibition interpretation.
- Assist CAC leadership team in the development of a comprehensive multi-year exhibition plan for the Center.
- Prepare and manage departmental and project budgets; prepare budgets for grant applications, cost estimates, contract preparation, and management of vendors and contractors.
- Assist Senior Director with day-to-day management tasks in order to ensure preparedness for daily and long-range activities.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in humanities-based field.
- 3 - 5 years of experience of organizational and project management experience in exhibits, theater or entertainment venues; museum experience preferred.
Skills and Attributes
- Strong project management skills; excellent analytic, planning and organizational skills; detail oriented; able to determine and adjust competing priorities.
- Creative thinker, with a curiosity about the built environment.
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple complex projects with tight deadlines.
- Ability to analyze bids and contracts.
- Ability to work with and within multiple project teams.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of exhibition installation and maintenance materials, tools, and methods. Proficiency with hand and power tools a plus.
- Awareness of latest digital strategies in museum education.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
- Thorough knowledge of standard computer applications, with a willingness to learn new software.
- Working knowledge of ADA requirements.
- Working knowledge of video and audio equipment.
- Knowledge, awareness, or enthusiasm for architecture, engineering, urban planning, and design is a plus.