- Demonstrated knowledge and proven experience in creating and managing multiple grassroots advocacy strategies at the local, state, or federal level, including the successful use of grassroots advocacy tactics.
- Established track record of helping to enact or defeat legislation at the local, state, or federal level through grassroots advocacy.
- Advanced knowledge in how to use technology to make grassroots advocacy more effective and a proven track record of using databases and outreach platforms, and social media to advance a public policy issue.
- Demonstrated knowledge and proven experience in creating and producing successful online and in-person advocacy training.
- Proven skills as an advocacy trainer, with deep knowledge of the topics, and training best practices and methods.
- Experience working on campaigns for public office at the local, state, and federal levels desired.
- Ability to coordinate campaign-style event logistics
- Advanced analytical, writing, speaking, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to balance big-picture goals and strategies, demonstrate attention to detail, and manage multiple priorities and responsibilities.
- Skills and track record in team building, collaborative problem solving, conflict resolution, and active listening.
- Proven ability to work independently while successfully managing multiple priorities and responsibilities simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability to be creative and think outside the box.
- Understanding of the nexus of political fundraising and grassroots advocacy.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office, including competence in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Skilled in using internet browser/internet research-based methods
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Affairs, Communications, Political Science or related degree and a minimum of 5-7 years of political, public affairs, grassroots, or government relations experience in executive, legislative, corporate, and or private sector required. Association related experience desired, but not required.
The is a professional position on the Advocacy + Relationships team in which the manager is responsible for advancing the AIA’s public policy agenda by implementing programs that engage and increase member participation and advocacy skills for grassroots advocacy activities , including conducting trainings. This position reports to the Senior Director, Advocacy.
- Create and manage the grassroots advocacy projects, campaigns and training suite to implement AIA’s overall grassroots advocacy strategy.
- Create call-to-action messaging campaigns for AIA’s public policy issues, comprised of both written and visual content, that mobilizes AIA members to advocate at the local, state, and federal level.
- Develop and implement nationwide member mobilization programs for AIA local and state chapter staff and volunteer leadership to increase members’ advocacy on public policy issues.
- Manage AIA’s member outreach database and its technology and software platforms, namely Phone 2 Action and, CISION to increase member advocacy.
- Develop and manage a multi-year plan of action to train AIA local and state components to effectively use AIA’s technology and tools to increase their grassroots advocacy efforts.
- Manage and the SpeakUp Training Suite, an advocacy skills training program for AIA state and local component staff and volunteer leadership that builds their skills and trains them to develop and implement grassroots advocacy strategies and campaigns to help advance their policy agendas.
- Develop advocacy trainings, best practices guides, online training tools and webinars for AIA members and local and state chapter staff and volunteer leadership
- Conduct and participate in trainings for AIA members and local and state chapter staff and volunteer leadership.
- Manage the online Citizen Architect of the Month program.
- Oversee the written and visual content of AIA’s advocacy webpage on AIA.org as well as AIA’s legislative action center and social media platforms.
- Work closely with AIA’s communications team to oversee the strategic use of AIA’s online communications and social media accounts for grassroots advocacy.
- Other duties as assigned.