Van Alen Institute seeks a highly organized and experienced project manager for a temporary position to execute a fast-paced design competition. The competition looks to work with local municipalities and related stakeholders in the Miami area to develop implementable solutions to sea level rise through the lens of economy, ecology, and equity.
The project manager will work with three different municipalities to release an RFQ for an implementable and adaptive solution to sea level rise. The project manager will oversee the entire competition process, including the compilation of local research and key findings documents, communication with foundations, development of three RFQs, project webpage, juror selection, advisory board, design teams, community workshops and culminating mobile exhibition and conference. The project manager will work closely with local government.
The project manager will provide project support (roughly 20-40 hours a week) for 18-24 months. The project manager role would start in winter/early spring 2017 and will be based in Miami or Van Alen’s New York City Office, with regular visits to either New York City or Miami (respectively).
The project manager will report to and work closely with the Director of Competitions, who will oversee all work executed by the project manager.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- oversee development of project including but not limited to creation and development of project schedule, budget, event execution, timelines, scopes, RFQs, project newsletter, reports, key finding documents, juror sessions and contracts
- oversee and guide University institution research and multidisciplinary teams in their work through regular meetings, interim reviews and oversee stakeholders to complete and implement projects. The director of competitions may join for several meetings
- support, inform, develop and manage project networks including: advisory boards, jurors, design teams, municipal partners, foundations, the public, non-profits, and business community
- manage non-profit partners, foundations, the public, local participants and teams to administer community engagement workshops
- oversee execution of feasibility study
- coordinate, plan, and create presentations and related materials and execute all project related events including but not limited to: community events, juror sessions, mobile exhibition, and project conference
- oversee all vendors, event assistants, consultants, and volunteers
- coordinate with venues and all vendors for event staging, catering, A/V, entertainment, and other logistics
- oversee development of all communications and outreach aspects of competitions, including producing websites, public programs and events, presentations, flyers, press releases and brochures; Work closely with programs and communications manager on overall program marketing and project publicity
- oversee project documentation and project reporting and track project expenses against overall project budget
- provide frequent and detailed progress updates internally, identifying challenges and potential solutions before they occur
- conduct any administrative related project tasks
Van Alen seeks applicants with a strong background in project management and event production and an interest in our mission and projects.
- five-seven years project management experience at full-time or part-time positions, with proven track record of successfully launching, managing, and implementing projects
- experience managing projects with tight timelines and adhering to project budgets
- experience working with local government and municipalities
- strong experience overseeing teams of creative professionals, dealing with personalities, and coaxing the best work from talented individuals
- resourceful, works well under pressure, and able to multitask
- exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- flexible, organised, keen eye for detail, and able to multitask
- self-directed, with a professional attitude toward all levels of assigned tasks
- experience managing external project partners and venues
- experience with A/V
- capable of troubleshooting any issues in a confident and discrete manner
- strong budget management skills
- experience with InDesign, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project and other graphic design software is an asset
- interest and/or background in urban studies, architecture, urban design, politics, engineering, sea level rise or a related field
About Van Alen Institute
At Van Alen Institute, we believe design can transform cities, landscapes, and regions to improve people’s lives. We collaborate with communities, scholars, policymakers, and professionals on local and global initiatives that rigorously investigate the most pressing social, cultural, and ecological challenges of tomorrow. Building on more than a century of experience, we develop cross-disciplinary research, provocative public programs, and inventive design competitions.
Learn more at www.vanalen.org.
Keep in Touch Subscribe to our newsletter: www.vanalen.org/subscribe
Facebook: /vanaleninstitute Twitter: @van_alen
How to apply
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Please submit salary requirements.
Candidates must be available for 20-40 hours a week, from date of hire through program end. The position will be 20-40 hours a week, depending on project schedule for 18- 24 months.