ABOUT THE POSITION:
Bloomberg Associates (BA) seeks an Urban Planning Team Project Manager to conceptualize, develop, and manage a range of projects relating to urban planning, public realm transformation, and urban economic development for multiple client cities. The Project Manager will serve as a core member of the Urban Planning team, working in close collaboration with his/her fellow teammates and colleagues across the organization to provide innovative, high quality advisory services and support to client cities.
S/he must be an experienced urban planning professional, with his or her core experience in land use planning. S/he would ideally also have expertise in the areas of economic development, such as crafting economic revitalization strategies, formulating public private partnerships, developing governance, management and public financing structures, analyzing economic conditions, and developing affordable housing and community development strategies.
S/he must be a strategic thinker with proven expertise in project management, analytical skills relating to urban planning, a service oriented mindset, attention to detail, and excellent written and verbal communication skills. S/he must be a team player who can manage projects from start to end, work with many stakeholders, and thrive in a fast‐paced, results‐driven environment. The ideal candidate would have experience working with government officials in international and domestic cities.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Diagnose physical and social challenges and opportunities of sites, neighborhoods and districts and formulate strategic ideas and recommendations
· Conduct in‐depth land use and site analysis, from both on-the-ground and desk-based analysis
· Review, analyze and craft recommendations around zoning policies and tools
· Evaluate and advise on land use approval processes
· Analyze development patterns, density, land use projections and demographic trends
· Assess physical and spatial assets and challenges and identify relevant solutions in the areas of
waterfront revitalization, vacant and underutilized land, etc.
· Craft economic and neighborhood revitalization strategies
· Design and develop management and governance structures
· Structure public private partnerships
· Craft innovative financing and funding strategies and design phasing strategies for public projects, master plans, and economic development projects
· Analyze economic and real estate market conditions
· Assess feasibility of public projects and assess economic and fiscal impacts
· Design policies that support the growth of specific industries and attract investment
· Craft strategies relating to equity and housing affordability
Project and Process Management
· Manage multiple, simultaneous projects from beginning to end, in line with client expectations
· Conduct research and analysis and synthesize key findings into high‐quality, easily
understandable documents, graphics, presentations and talking points
· Prepare client‐ready memos, reports, presentations and other deliverables
· Craft proposals for engagement with prospective city clients
· Work closely across Bloomberg Associate teams to evaluate and develop opportunities for
Stakeholder Engagement and Influencing
· Organize and lead calls, meetings, events and workshops with clients, partners, collaborators
and key stakeholders
· Independently and credibly represent the team in meetings with senior‐level clients, partners and stakeholders
· Regularly travel to client cities to meet with clients and other key stakeholders
· Master’s Degree in Urban Planning or a closely related degree
· 5 – 10 years’ experience in urban planning or a closely related field
· Experience managing urban planning projects from conception to implementation
· Extensive travel experience in cities around the world, and preferably experience living and/or working abroad.
· Demonstrated understanding of urban planning processes typical within cities (land use
review, real estate development processes, etc.)
· Excellent research, writing, communication and analytical skills
· Language skills are desirable, especially Spanish and/or French
· Passion for exploring cities and working with local governments
LOCATION: New York City, with approximately 30% - 50% travel
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Bloomberg Associates is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.