The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation is currently seeking a Vice President and Chief Development Officer to join its executive level team. The Vice President and Chief Development Officer will:
· develop a case for support for the organization’s strategic priorities;
· oversee all development efforts including strategic direction, budgeting, and management and utilization and engagement of Trustees in development efforts;
· direct supervision of a development staff of 5 direct reports, plus other associates and volunteers;
· understand institution-wide priorities and program plans;
· manage over 100 campaign prospects, individuals, foundations and national corporations;
· manage membership of over 7600 households;
· identify prospects and secure major gifts and develop a steady pipeline of donors;
· oversee development vendors related to campaign activities;
· work with a vibrant and productive Board committee, including sub-committees for special campaigns and events, as well as a community outreach group (known as our Stewards);
· monitor development expenses and budgeting;
· supervise the efficiency and accuracy of the Foundation's Raiser's Edge development database, analysis and donor research, and cultivation/stewardship plans;
· utilize senior staff and Board members in development efforts;
· regularly report on status of fundraising to senior staff and Trustees;
· serve as spokesperson for the Foundation's press opportunities related to development; and,
· ensure that our work is performed in accordance with best practices and professional standards.
The successful VP/CDO will be highly people-oriented with an empathetic disposition and a donor focused approach. She/he will expend considerable energy understanding the needs of donors and will actively advocate for their interests. She/he will be a skilled communicator who exhibits a level of comfort and engagement with and is able to generate enthusiasm among diverse stakeholders for the Foundation's many programs. The successful candidate should demonstrate ability to initiate and sustain momentum without close supervision and must exhibit a polished presence, diplomacy, discretion, and a deep respect and understanding of donor and Trustee relations.
THE DEVELOPMENT OFFICE
The Development Office of the Foundation includes fundraising, grants (corporate, foundation, and government), and membership. In addition to the VP/CDO, its staff currently consists of a Director of Development, primarily responsible for major gifts and donor relations; a Membership Manager and staff; a grant manager; and a data manager who maintains our Raiser’s Edge database. A part-time administrative assistant also works on scheduling and following up with donors and other participants.
The ideal candidate for the position of Vice President and Chief Development Officer will have:
· a Bachelor's degree; Master's degree desirable;
· a minimum of five years of development experience in arts, culture, or educational institutions, including proven major gifts success with six-and-seven figure donors;
· prior experience working on a significant capital campaign; campaign planning and management experience highly desirable;
· broad knowledge of the principles of fundraising with track record of building new donor relationships with prospects, Trustees, and volunteers, resulting in gifts;
· ability to develop and implement effective donor strategy and messaging;
· interest in and dedication to promoting the Foundation's mission and priorities;
· experience working in a complex organization;
· a background in architecture and the arts is highly desirable, as is knowledge of the Phoenix philanthropic community; and
· technological savvy including knowledge of Excel, Word, Outlook, internet research, social media, and donor software; prior experience with the Raiser's Edge fundraising software is highly desirable.
This position is located in Scottsdale, Arizona. Some travel within the US is associated with this role.
The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation offers a competitive benefits and compensation package.
All inquiries will be held in confidence.