The Municipal Art Society of New York (MAS) lifts up the voices of the people in the debates that shape New York’s built environment and leads the way toward a more livable city from sidewalk to skyline. MAS envisions a future in which all New Yorkers share in the richness of city life—where growth is balanced, character endures, and a resilient future is secured. Over more than 125 years of history, our advocacy efforts have led to the creation of the New York City Planning Commission, Public Design Commission, Landmarks Preservation Commission, and the Tribute in Light; the preservation of Grand Central Terminal, the lights of Times Square, and the Garment District; the conservation of more than 50 works of public art; and the founding of such civic organizations as the Public Art Fund, the New York Landmarks Conservancy, P.S. 1, the Historic Districts Council, the Park Avenue Armory Conservancy, and the Waterfront Alliance.
The position is designed as a learning role for an early career professional interested in developing a broad range of communications skills, with a focus on social media, printed materials, and photography/videography. Depending on experience and skill set, the position may be an associate or manager level role. Successful candidates will be expected to participate in external training opportunities relevant to the role and incorporate new skills into his/her work. There is also internal opportunity to develop skills in media outreach, fundraising, and event management depending on candidate interest.
Reports to: Vice President, Communications and Public Affairs
Duties and Tasks
A. WEB COMMUNICATIONS AND SOCIAL MEDIA 45%
- Administer MAS’s social media platforms, with an emphasis on building and engaging our existing digital audience
- Help brainstorm and execute targeted online advertising campaigns for MAS initiatives and development/fundraising
- Update and maintain website content on the newly re-launched mas.org
- Produce and disseminate monthly e-newsletter
- Help manage contacts database in partnership with development team
- Serve as point of contact for external vendors
- Monitor and analyze social media performance and provide recommendations as needed
B. EVENT PRODUCTION SUPPORT 25%
- Feed content during events into social media platforms to increase engagement
- Work with the public programs team to manage marketing campaigns for MAS events
- Manage follow up communications after each event (including thank you emails, uploading videos to social platforms, and managing contacts in MailChimp)
- Manage photography on-site
C. CONTENT MANAGEMENT 15%
- Develop and maintain a content calendar to schedule social media posts, promotional posts, and eblasts
- Collaborate with various departments to develop communications calendar
- Assist with graphic design needs and manage external graphic design vendors
D. BRANDED MATERIALS 15%
- Coordinate the production of all electronic and print outreach materials (including annual reports, membership collateral, branding & logos, membership cards, and event materials)
- Organize MAS photography and video assets, and manage vendors as needed for special events
- 2+ years of experience in communications for associate role; 4+ years of experience for manager role
- Superb attention to detail
- General comfort operating/learning both desktop and mobile software
- Experience with (or interest and aptitude in learning about) digital media and graphic design
- Awareness of social media platforms and general digital communications trends
- An enthusiasm for learning and growing professionally
- An interest in urban life and promoting a more equitable and livable city for all New Yorkers
- Please mention experience with any of the following as well: WordPress, DSLR photography, animated or live action video, paid or viral social media campaigns, Photoshop, InDesign.
Commensurate with experience. Strong benefits and time off package.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Communications Associate.” Only cover letters that explain a candidate’s specific interest in MAS will be considered. No phone calls please.
Applicants are encouraged to apply before May 12, 2021. This position is temporarily remote with office return expected later this year.
The Municipal Art Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.