Organization & Position Summary
The National Building Museum inspires curiosity about the world we design and build.
We are a private, nonprofit institution, created by Congress in 1980 to commemorate American achievements in architecture, design and engineering and to encourage excellence in the building arts.
Today, the National Building Museum transforms understanding of the history and impact of architecture, engineering, landscape architecture, and design. Through exhibitions, educational programs, and special events, we welcome all ages to experience stories about the built world and its power to shape our lives, communities, and futures.
Under the direct supervision of the Director of Individual Giving, the Development Operations Manager streamlines the department’s operations and systems, including the donor database, prospect and campaign reporting, financial tracking and reporting and compliance issues. This position also provides administrative and project management support to the department, including meeting preparation and internal coordination. The Development Operations Manager works to ensure the optimal use of the Museum’s donor database and other resources to maximize the institution’s fundraising success.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the Museum’s donor database, DonorPerfect Online and its weekly synchronization with the web-based CRM, Luminate Online.
- Enter gifts, in-kind donations, and pledges into the donor database, working with Relationship Managers to ensure accuracy of deposit reports.
- Oversee acknowledgement process in collaboration with Relationship Managers to ensure every gift is properly acknowledged in a timely manner.
- Manage sponsor crediting process to confirm proper recognition for each donor.
- Maintain health of DonorPerfect by regularly reviewing use of fields, data entry, and duplicate record report.
- Produce database reports to support the department, including donor listings for annual report and Great Hall donor plaque, weekly contact record reports, prospect management reports, and gift analyses.
- Assist department with project management by pulling event invitation lists, determining collaboration tools, and overseeing process for managing major projects like the Gala.
- Assist department with DonorPerfect and Luminate Online-based website needs including creating donation forms.
- Serve as the Development Department’s representative to the institution for database and web interface issues.
- Prepare monthly scorecard and development income report and reconcile figures with Finance Department.
- Prepare quarterly reports on development income for board meetings.
- Track departmental expenses and reconcile figures with Finance Department.
- Assist Finance Department with yearly financial audit, including pledge and gift documentation, financial reports, drafting procedures as needed.
- Working with the VPD, manage the preparation of annual budgets and reforecasts.
- Prepare Contributed Goods & Services report and other financial documentation for the audit and 990.
- Ensure compliance with charitable giving standards and legislation, including oversight of state registration and coordination of NBM’s profile on charitable giving websites.
- Work with the department to identify policies and procedures that need to be developed or documented to maintain high levels of donor trust and meet best practices.
- Manage use of iWave or similar tools to screen donors and upload information to the database.
- Manage relationship with contractors/vendors to ensure payment and deliverables.
- Support departmental prospect research for both the individual and institutional giving teams, including for the gala and prepare profiles as needed.
- Manage print and online subscriptions (iWave, SocialTables, DonorPerfect Online, Foundation Directory, Washington Business Journal, etc.).
- Participate as a staff member of the Development Department, including actively participating in regular meetings and assisting others with departmental priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
Specific requirements include:
- Experience with nonprofit database management and basic nonprofit finance and accounting required, including knowledge of at least one fundraising database (such as Raiser’s Edge, DonorPerfect Online, Salesforce etc.) and Microsoft Office Suite. Familiarity with DonorPerfect Online and Luminate Online ideal.
- Excellent organizational, written and verbal communication, and interpersonal skills required. Must be self-motivated, detail-oriented, flexible, and able to meet tight deadlines and work independently as well as collaboratively.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
- Bachelor’s degree required.