The Director of Development will be a key member of the new development team and will work closely with the Executive Director, the Deputy Director, and the staff to oversee a comprehensive fundraising plan to raise $2 million to support annual programs as well as special project funding for the Academy. The Director of Development plans, implements and sustains a comprehensive annual fundraising effort as a part of a team that currently includes one full-time and one part-time staff member, but which is expected to grow. As an essential member of the Academy’s leadership, the Director of Development is instrumental in the Academy’s sustainability and growth and contributes to the strategic direction of the institution. The Academy is looking for a fundraising leader to accomplish the organization’s financial goals by fostering relationships with donors, funders and stakeholders who are excited to support the Academy’s mission.
Leadership and Planning
- Plan, implement and oversee a comprehensive annual fund development program comprised of individuals, businesses, private foundations, government agencies, and earned income streams, focused on raising funds from diverse sources with an eye toward long-term institutional sustainability
- Identify organizational funding needs in collaboration with Executive Director and staff, creating strategic short- and long-term fundraising plans to meet income goals for programmatic, capital and capacity needs for the Academy.
- In partnership with the Director of Communications develop donor marketing and communications efforts, strategies and protocols for a comprehensive and multifaceted donor communication and messaging plan to support fundraising outreach.
Fundraising and Stewardship
- Identify and implement new strategies and tools to further develop relationships with individual donors with the goal of enhancing major giving, Director’s Circle, annual giving, and Friends membership programs
- In partnership with development staff, plan and execute major annual fundraising events and targeted cultivation activities.
- Oversee and grow a small planned giving program.
- Preparation and submission of grant proposals and steward a portfolio of current institutional funders to ensure timely, quality submission of proposals and fulfillment of reporting requirements (Foundations, Corporations, and Government)
- Research and identify new foundation and corporate giving prospects based on Academy’s programmatic initiatives; cultivate new funding relationships and opportunities
- Ready the Academy for a future capital campaign.
- Train, mentor and support Academy staff and Board in their donor and prospect engagement activities. Seek ways to maximize their personal giving and participation in philanthropic programs.
Management and Reporting
- Oversee day-to-day fundraising operations, ensuring effective grant and gift tracking, revenue reports and donor management
- Oversee the fundraising budget; actively manage revenue to ensure that annual operating budget objectives and plan goals are met; track multi-year revenue and fundraising trends; and use results to strategically plan future opportunities.
- Provide Executive Director with regular status reports and coordinate on funder relations.
- Work with the Deputy Director to provide revenue projections and reports; support monthly and annual reconciliation processes; and support the annual audit and organizational reporting.
- Generate and present reports on fundraising for board meetings
- Motivate, supervise, evaluate and mentor development staff. Create a supportive, collaborative, productive and healthy work environment based on respect, teamwork and clear expectations and responsibilities. Set performance standards and provide timely, constructive feedback. Support opportunities for professional development.
- Oversee and support the use of Salesforce in conjunction with development staff and other staff as needed.
- Ensure that all records of contributors and prospects in Salesforce are efficiently and accurately entered and routinely reviewed adding donor and prospect information on a regular basis;
- Support all staff with information retrieval for related gifts as well as create and generate regular reports for tracking fundraising efforts as needed.
- Create and maintain a system for tracking relationships, activities, and touchpoints for major donors and prospects.
- Monthly reconciliation with the finance department on contributed income and development department expenses.
- Create and maintain a Salesforce manual for the Academy that outlines the processes and procedures for entering gifts and maintaining the system.
- Review and update as needed development department policy documents including, but not limited to: gift acceptance policy, procedures for processing gifts, and Board of Governors Manual.
- Serve as a public representative of the organization, fostering relationships with community members, including elected officials, major donors and prospective funders.
- Be involved with the arts and NYC community by attending community events, promoting a positive public image, and increasing the visibility of Academy’s work and impact.
- Maintain knowledge about the external environment as it relates to arts and culture.
- 5-8+ years of demonstrated success and leadership in professional fundraising for a not-for-profit organization, preferably in arts and culture
- BA/MA in relevant discipline preferred, or equivalent work experience
- Experience securing support for a mission-driven nonprofit from a variety of sources, including major donors, institutional funders, digital and social media, special events, corporate partnerships and grassroots campaigns.
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills, with ability to work fluidly across all levels, build collaboration and buy-in and generate support from internal and external stakeholders; ability to craft and articulate nuanced, sophisticated cases for support to diverse audiences and constituents.
- Ability to see “big picture,” think strategically, and translate strategy into goals and actions.
- Excellent project management, organizational and prioritizing skills that include problem solving and analysis, as well as efficiency and accuracy when multitasking.
- Self-starter, proactive, flexible and a creative problem-solver
- Demonstrated supervisory and delegation skills
- Demonstrated experience using Salesforce or similar CRM and proficiency in Google Drive, Slack, and Asana