The Manager of Marketing & Events will manage the execution of increasing revenue for the Site through marketing the Site’s services which include Site rentals, museum-hosted events, and tour and exhibition sales, and will lead other programs as assigned.
The Manager will also play an important role in the re-imagination of this iconic historic Site. Working with the Executive Director, they will develop and carry out innovative and sustainable marketing and communications related to Wilson’s complex domestic and international legacies The work will require the Manager to identify and collaborate with a range of partners to deliver mission-driven programming and events that interpret the history of the Site, that expand the Site’s relevance and audiences served, and ensure the Site’s financially sustainable.
Site Rental & Promotion
Special Purpose Use – (Site Rental)
Develop and execute plan to drive earned income by marketing and renting the Site for Special Purpose Uses (SPUs), such as corporate luncheons, dinners and receptions, Urban Retreats and other longer-term rentals, weddings and wedding receptions, photoshoots and video and movie filming
Hire, train and supervise “event captains” to manage these events at the Site
- Working with the Executive Director, develop and execute educational events at the Site (or virtually) including Vintage Game Night, Late Thursdays, Book Talks, Performing Arts Series, Chamber Music Series, Walk Weekend, Holidays through History, and Tuesday Speaker Series
- Organize receptions hosted by the Site (gallery openings, book talks, panel discussions, St. Albans House Tour reception. etc.)
- Help plan, oversee, and execute one annual fundraiser onsite for approx. 150 - 200 guests including designing and distributing invitations, hiring catering & determining menus, supervising event staff with detailed run of show, managing budget, purchasing event supplies.
- Organize, train and supervise “volunteers” to manage these events virtually or at the Site.
Site Tours and Exhibition Sales
- Working with the Executive Director, develop and execute a plan for increasing sales and attendance for house tours and exhibitions, including group tours.
- Develop relationships with local tour groups (Big Bus Tours, DC by Foot, etc.), local hotel concierge, Temperance Tours, and Destination DC (including Passport DC).
- Market admissions to the Site, handle discounted and complementary admissions, and manage arrangement with Groupon.
- Interface with local museums and historic house museums, including Dupont Kalorama Museum Consortium (DKMC) and Virginia Association of Museums (VAM).
- Participate in educational opportunities, such as Presidential Primary Sources Project (online classroom).
- Coordinate loans of collection items with NTHP Curator.
- Respond to public inquiries regarding the Site and its collections, including licensed use of photographs.
- With guidance from the Executive Director and National Trust Education and Collections staff, organize and install educational exhibitions from time to time in the Gallery or in the Garden at the Site
Marketing and Communications:
- Working with the Executive Director, help plan, implement, and execute the Site’s web and social media strategy, with a goal of increasing revenue for the Site through public awareness of and participation in programs, including marketing of museum shop.
- Maintain the Site’s online presence including website updates, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and video platforms
- Help envision and produce content for the Site’s social media accounts
- Moderate the Site’s social media communities, responding to comments, questions, messages, etc.
- Manage social media & digital advertising, from budgeting, to analyzing audience demographics, developing ad content and assessing campaigns
- Manage presence on online review Sites like TripAdvisor, Google, Yelp. Triage and address negative reviews and messages.
- Design and send email marketing campaigns, create list segments, review campaign analytics.
- Manage and query Google Analytics to measure and understand website traffic.
- Participate in 2021 website redesign project and serve as the Site representative.
- Develop and maintain marketing/development project calendar and deadlines.
- Generate intermediate graphic designs for low distribution, digital, or short lead project materials. Manage the design and print production process for program mailings including postcards, flyers, mailers. When using an outside vendor, manage graphic designer, provide content, photography, design vision and serve as liaison for graphic designer and the Site management.
- Shoot and manage storage of in-house photography for use in print and web. Manage hiring and execution of professional photography/videography as needed for marketing.
- Oversee design and purchase of on-site signage.
- Track invoices and maintain budget for print marketing activities.
Ticketing and Data
- Manage content on ticketing system (Fareharbor) to ensure consistency between the Site and ticketing Site, address common visitor questions
- Create ticketed events through ticketing system including creating schedules, pricing, fees, discount codes, and advanced system administration
- Complete monthly impact report to assess Site demographics and send to National Trust
- Complete monthly CRM report consisting of donors and members and send to National Trust for database upload in a timely and accurate manner
- In donor database, design and run queries for mailing lists, donation reports, contact reports, and conversion rates.
- In donor database, manage database administration including creating new fields, understanding field relationships, maintaining data, entering data.
- Serve as the Site representative to Fareharbor and Constant Contact, Pic Monkey and WordPress support teams.
- Serve as initial point of contact for press, PR consultants, ad placement, event listings
- Working with the Executive Director, develop and write press releases, pitches, and newsletters to highlight the Site’s programming and curatorial news
- Interface with local reporters, photographers, bloggers, and influencers as requested
- At least 5 years of professional level experience, with experience in marketing and PR and Events including substantive background in social media marketing. Experience in a museum or other arts & cultural setting a plus.
- Demonstrated success in revenue generation through marketing.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and skill set essential.
- Excellent writing, spelling, grammar, and proofreading skills, with experience in composing effective marketing pieces, press releases and other outreach material.
- Demonstrated success and interest in engaging culturally diverse audiences, especially marketing to African American audiences. Connections to African American affinity, professional or community groups a plus.
- Experience with the execution of graphic design and social media projects, including project-managing web design and print collateral projects.
- Experience with planning and executing museum events and fundraisers.
- Experience managing volunteers.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills, including issue identification and prioritization.
- Intermediate project-management skills. Ability to achieve results with general supervision.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Experience successfully interacting with key stakeholders.
- Ability to collaborate to achieve results. Public contact and ability to work with others successfully both virtually and on-Site required.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task efficiently and respond to a high volume of ongoing requests in a timely fashion. Strong organizational skills required.
- Ability to continually develop skills related to use of rapidly changing technology and communications best practices.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment. Ability to work effectively with frequent interruptions required. Able to handle frequently changing and/or unscheduled tasks with accuracy.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, Google Suite, Fareharbor, PicMonkey, Photoshop, WordPress and Constant Contact required. Familiarity with other software, and design platforms, a plus.
- Knowledge of Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn required. Familiarity with other social media software and apps a plus.
- Regular and reliable attendance required.
PAY & BENEFITS
This is a full-time, exempt level position, eligible for full benefits, including health, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits, and 3+ weeks of vacation, plus sick time and holidays.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this position will continue to work primarily remotely for the foreseeable future (currently projected through June 2021).
Hiring Range: $52-55,000 per year