The Social Media Manager is responsible for researching, developing, editing, and publishing original content for Cooper Hewitt’s social media channels. Reports to the Director of Communications & Marketing and may monitor the performance of contractors and interns.
Original Social Media Content Production:
• Creates original social media content suitable for publishing across all Cooper Hewitt social media platforms and channels. Content is informative, educational, entertaining, and engaging, while supporting the mission and goals of Cooper Hewitt and the Smithsonian Institution.
• Original content may include but is not be limited to, writing, photography, videography, and audio production for publishing to Cooper Hewitt’s social media channels.
• Collaborates with the Communications and Marketing team members and other Museum departments, to create unique social content products (e.g. Instagram Stories, blogs, and short videos) and other social media experiences.
• Collaborates with different departments to edit Museum content for publishing to the Museum’s social media channels (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Youtube).
Content Planning and Strategy:
• Assists in the execution of a comprehensive social media content strategy under the direction of the Director of Communications and Marketing, and in collaboration with Museum stakeholders, to ensure its effectiveness.
• Build an effective editorial calendar based on current and future Museum exhibitions and programs that is timely, relevant, and reflective of the Museum’s, mission, goals, and vision. Creates storyboards and narrative arcs to plan content for live video series on Facebook and Instagram.
• Expertise as a social media content writer for diverse audiences using current and emerging technologies and multimedia content formats.
• Experience in an organization focused on Art and Design or cultural institution, using social media as a storytelling tool.
• Experience in an organization focused on Art and Design or cultural institution approaching difficult and sensitive topics in a social media setting that include subjects like race, social justice, and identity. Ability to use such topics to empower Cooper Hewitt’s audiences to contribute to a national dialog on design and art history and culture, race, and identity by including both difficult, diverse, and inclusive stories.
• Ability to serve as a writer, or producer of original digital content for a museum, blog, or cultural institution with a diverse audience with a focus on education, history, culture and the arts.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member in an environment that promotes and supports continuous change.
• Generate, edit, publish and share daily content (original text, images, video or HTML) that builds meaningful connections and encourages community members to take action.
• Ability to set up and optimize company pages within each platform to increase the visibility of Cooper Hewitt’s social content.
• Demonstrated experience with basic photo editing (Canva, Pixelmator, Photoshop).
• Demonstrated ability to communicate with audiences in a competent and professional manner.
• Demonstrated ability to learn and subsequently use new software tools and systems.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
• Possess interpersonal and team building skills to establish and maintain productive relationships in a multi-cultural environment. This includes the ability to function within a team of diverse skill-sets that includes museum curators, researchers, educators, content producers, designers, developers, and analysts.
TEMPORARY APPOINTMENT: One year full-time appointment that may be extended beyond the one year (based on performance and budget).
• Telework is required through December 31, 2021 (and may be extended).
• Permanent Duty Station is 2 East 91st Street, New York, NY 10128 (must be available to report to this location January 1, 2022).
SMITHSONIAN EXCEPTIONAL BENEFITS:
- TIAA 401k
- Life Insurance (including Optional Life Insurance)
- Voluntary Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Health Insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield)
- Dental (Delta Dental)
- Vision (Vision Services)
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Commuter Benefits
- Annual Leave (13 days)
- Sick Leave (13 days)
- Federal Holidays (10 days)
- Family Friendly Leave
- Family Friendly Workplace
- Telework+Alternative Work Schedules
- Historic and landmark offices/library and garden (New York)
- Design Library
- Curatorial Talks and Tours (Cooper Hewitt)
- 92Y Fitness Center
- Employee Assistance Program
- Smithsonian Network
- Museum Shop (employee discount)
- Free Admission to most NYC museums
- Smithsonian Discounts
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a cover letter and resume (addressing qualification requirements) to: HRwriter@si.edu