AIA East Tennessee is the local chapter of The American Institute of Architects that serves architects and the public in 25 counties of middle and upper East Tennessee. The chapter was chartered on November 21, 1953 and currently serves over 250+ members.
AIA East Tennessee strives to advance this goal by:
- Providing continuing education for architects and other design professionals in the areas of business methods, technical development, design excellence, marketing techniques, practice management, project management.
- Communication to members in the form of a web site, newsletter, seminars, workshops, chapter meetings, receptions, and committee meetings.
- Assistance to the community through leadership, and members’ service on local government bodies and community organizations.
- Advising legislators on legislation related to the profession.
- Distribution of standard documents and publications used by the construction industry such as AIA Standard Forms of Agreement between the architect/owner, owner/contractor, architect/consultant, etc.
- Providing a referral service to the public, and answering questions about what architects “do”, how to hire one, what to expect in the working relationship.
- Providing a resource for research into the various areas of architectural interest.
- Serving as a resource for members for employment opportunities.
- Working with allied professions on issues of mutual interest and concern.
Membership in AIA East Tennessee offers members, affiliates and Partnership Plus program an effective means to influence and contribute to their profession and the East Tennessee community. It is a forum for developing individual skills and sharing information about architectural practice.
Through the National Component of AIA, members have access to national publications, committee reports, insurance programs, and the resources of expert staff in all areas of professional practice. At the state level, AIA Tennessee influences public policy on issues related to the practice of architecture and the health and safety of the public.